Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab
1.1) Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab is a specialised residential treatment centre for individuals experiencing difficulties with a range of depressive/anxiety related disorders, addictions and other associated self-defeating behaviours.
1.2) Alcohol is a depressant drug which can effect, co-ordination, concentration and work performance. Many other drugs can impair a person’s motor control, reaction time and ability to maintain ones focus and attention. This will impede a person’s capabilities to perform their job safely and effectively.
1.3) Alcohol and drug misuse may interfere with an employee’s health. Also it can cause potential risk/harm to other colleagues, clients and the service as a whole. This can also incorporate the use of many prescribed drugs, which may have adverse effects on the individual including problems of addictive tendencies/nature.
1.4) Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehabprovides a safe environment for all client’s, employee’s, volunteer’s, due to the dangers involved in alcohol substance misuse, this policy aims to highlight the disciplinary procedure for any staff member not adhering to the abstinence policy.
1.5) All staff is expected to discuss issues relating to the use of prescribed/non prescribed drugs with their line manager/supervisor.
The purpose of this policy:
Effectively communicate to all staff/employee’s the rules in relation to the impact of alcohol consumption and substance misuse whist in employment at Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab.
3.1 This policy covers the use and misuse of intoxicating substances, which include alcohol, solvents, legal and illegal drugs**, prescription and over-the counter medicines and other substances that could adversely affect work performance and/or health and safety.
3.2 This policy applies to ALL employees at Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab
3.3 Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab also expects volunteers, support workers, contractors, and others working on its behalf to comply with this policy. Failure to do so will result in the working arrangements being terminated.
** ‘Drug’ is defined as substances covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 to be referred to as controlled/recorded drugs, prescribed and over the counter drugs and medication; and glues and solvents.
Associated person’s relating to policy
ROLE OF THE MANAGER
1. To ensure that employees understand what is expected of them with regard to attendance, work performance, behaviour and safety.
2. To be familiar with the policy and procedures.
3. To help inform the workforce of the policy.
4. To advise staff of their rights and responsibilities under the policy.
5. To be alert to and monitor changes in work performance and attendance, sickness and accident patterns.
6. To help the employee at work and assist with any issues highlighted regarding health issues and use of prescribed/non prescribed drugs.
7. Ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees and others all with whom they come into contact.
ROLE OF THE EMPLOYEE
1. To adhere to the Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehabrules on TOTAL ABSINANCE.
2. To avoid covering up or colluding with other staff/employees and to promote honesty within Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab. All employees have a legal duty to inform their employer of any situation that could be considered to constitute risk, and therefore must report any other employee who appears to be under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other substances.
3. Employees are required to familiarise themselves with this policy and comply with its provisions.
4. Each individual will be responsible for their own personal well-being and personal recovery program.
5. To go/ask for help if worried about their own drinking or drug-taking – from managers, or an outside agency.
6. All employees are expected to take responsibility for their own behaviour with regards to alcohol consumption and taking prescribed, and over the counter Drugs / medications.
7. Staff is expected to present a professional, courteous and efficient image to those with whom they come into contact at all times. They therefore have a personal responsibility to adopt a responsible attitude towards drinking and taking prescribed and over-the-counter drugs
Capability Policy and Procedure
Attendance Management & Sickness Absence Policy
Health & safety policy
4.1) In the interests and the well-being of clients and all staff it is essential:
STAFF SHOULD NOT CONSUME ALCOHOL/ILLICIT DRUGS WHILST ON DUTY OR DURING ANY PERIOD BEFORE WORK STARTS OR DURING A BREAK PERIOD, SUCH THAT ALCOHOL/DRUGS WILL STILL BE PRESENT IN THE BODY ON ARRIVAL OR ON RETURN TO WORK. ALCOHOLCONSUMED IN THE EVENING MAY STILL RESULT IN THE INDIVIDUAL BEING “OVER THE LIMIT” THE FOLLOWING MORNING
4.2) Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab operates an abstinence based approach to treatment and recovery. All staff/employees are expected to adhere also to this policy and procedures have been put in place to ensure this.
4.3) We reserve the right to employ random alcohol/drug testing on all staff/employees suspected of or perceived as having used drugs or alcohol.
4.4) If you fail or refuse to undergo testing you will receive instant dismissal and asked to leave the premises.
4.5) Any staff/employee reporting for duty whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be sent off duty and instantly dismissed from their post.
4.6) Every effort will be made to create a working environment promoting health and well-being within the work place. All staff will receive regular supervision and be encouraged to discuss any issues/concerns relating to themselves or any other member of staff.
4.7) The abstinence policy extends to all visitors at Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab. Employees are responsible to report any concerns to a senior member of staff, who will manage the situation accordingly.
4.8) Everyone has a role to play in helping those who are misusing alcohol and/or drugs and it is essential that there should be no cover-up. No one should feel guilty about bringing the matter to the attention of management; the aim is to help people to recover and to lead a healthy and fulfilling life.
5 PRINCIPLES RELATING TO Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab
5.1 That alcohol and drug misuse is primarily a problem, which requires ABSTINANCE whilst in employment at Serenity Health Drug and Alcohol Rehab.
5.2 That the focus of the policy is to address impaired work performance and/or behavioural problems which provides a legitimate basis for management to intervene without interfering in employees’ private lives.
5.3 That employees who believe or suspect that they themselves have an alcohol or drug problem should be encouraged to seek specialist help & discuss with line manager who will advise and support accordingly.
5.4 Any employee who is in recovery is primarily responsible for their own program of recovery.
5.5 Any employee who is in recovery from alcohol or drugs and has relapsed shall be dismissed with immediate effect and not allowed on the premises.
Title: Abstinence Policy
Prepared by: The Management Team
Issue/review date: January 2018
Review date: January 2018
Status: Approved – Care Home Manager